Sunday, July 4, 2010

I THINK I REMEMBER YOUR NAME



Late one evening on June 29, 2010 somewhere in Massachussetts, Jane Bubnis got nostalgic. Later that evening in Santa Fe, I received an email. 

All it said was, "St. Agnes Camp...I went there too from age 10-16. I think I remember your name."

My response was immediate:
"I am ASTONISHED that you saw my website...how did you find it? Can you send me a picture of yourself at that age? The camp does not exist anymore...do you know what became of it?"
Jane was just as immediate:
"I Googled St. Agnes Villa Camp and your website (www.cybernuns.com) came up, I guess because of the picture caption. I recognized those Dominican habits! And it looks like you had on one of those lovely gym suits that dates your camping experience at 1959 or earlier. I am 61 now, born in ’49 and attended camp at 10 years old, the last year we wore those suits. I attended for years until becoming a counselor @$75 for the summer. I drove to the old place just to take a look. It was very abandoned with most everything knocked down…just trees, the lake (my out of body, religious experience when I was a kid) and a chain link fence all around. You can actually see the place if you Google Masten Lake Road and “drive” up until you see that chain link fence. The cross street is Callahan Road I think.  I have fondest memories of growing up a Tomboy at St. Agnes Camp!"
__________________________________________________________________________________
And so a spontaneous, enthusiastic journey backwards has just begun, provoking memories each did not know the other had.  In fact - in my case - it motivated me to write about someone remarkable, leading to what I now call, The Pax Mafia Series. If you want to know what Pax Mafia is all about then just look at the tabs above. The other tabs also contain stories by Jane Bubnis and myself so look through them and if you wish to comment, jump in. Don't be afraido. Water's warmo...

--Sandra


 

No comments:

Post a Comment